Planning the vacation is part of the fun and we're here to help from tips, hacks and ideas.
So let's start off with the practical side of air travel for those planning on jetting away.
Paying for checked luggage is now a definite thing. If you must check in your luggage, be prepared for the extra costs involved as luggage costs can quickly add up, leaving you with hefty expenses even before you step on the plane.
The major airlines, from scheduled to budget now slap on different prices and luggage dimensions which can add to the confusion so do your research to ensure you don't fall foul of the airline's baggage requirements, and start your holiday on a downer.
An option which is becoming increasingly popular with savvy travellers is choosing to pack everything into the hand luggage / carry-on to save money on checking in luggage. A personal favourite of mine as it also means avoiding the luggage carousel wait!
As you know from our brand, travelling light is our bag (no pun intended!) and avoiding luggage costs doesn't mean compromising on style. There are smart and stylish solutions available to help you minimize both the weight and the bulk of your luggage. Our signature By Your Side Skincare Organiser (prev. The Karry Set) is now one of a collection of travel sets we offer to provide light, functional yet stylish travel solutions to make planning, packing and travelling easier.
Here are 5 ways to avoid those airline luggage costs:
- Take a carry-on suitcase. As simple as this is, it is easily missed because the easiest thing to do is simply pack everything thinking we will get through each and every item. An honest recap will reveal we typically return with items still folded! Planning is the key. By thinking ahead of your trip you can work out what you do actually need for your vacation and eliminate those extra unnecessary shoes, bag, beauty items and clothes. TOP TIP: work out what you will be doing while away and plan your outfits accordingly.
- Decant your favourite beauty and skincare products into mini travel bottles and jars. Choosing travel minis from The Karry London collection like the By Your Side Skincare Organiser, you can easily carry it in your handbag or pack it in your carry-on luggage. It's compact and lightweight design means it saves space and weight and it's glass and eco-friendly materials also contribute to a more sustainable world.
- Use clever space-saving travel solutions like packing cubes and organise your outfits by day. Vacuum packs to compress everything, or simply roll your clothes. Look for ways to conserve space, doubling up where possible, e.g. socks in shoes/trainers, underwear in pockets, belts in collars. You can also utilise the space in between the bars of the suitcase.
- Take the biggest handbag you can find! With more digitisation, there's room now for items beyond tickets and essential items. Most airlines permit a handbag in addition to the carry on baggage (dimensions and weight differ so do your homework first).
- Check the weather and organise your wardrobe in advance. Weather-permitting pack lightweight clothes, layers which allows you to layer-up should you need to. Swaps like a cardigan for a scarf can also save space which you can either pack or wear along with your bulkiest clothes and shoes to the airport and en route.
Some tips, hacks, suggestions and advice which help in lightening the load of your baggage.